When should you reach out to your Dean?

Academic Deans monitor your academic progress, articulate and enforce academic rules, and support you with academic questions or concerns. All students should refer to the Policies and Procedures that their school (Trinity | Pratt) to learn more about any of the topics listed below (as well as additional issues).

  • When you want to take a course underload (I.e., take 3.0 to 3.75 credits)
  • When you want to withdraw from a normal course load to an underload during the semester. 
  • If you want to take a course overload (I.e., more than 6 credits). Learn more about underloading and what that means for future semesters
  • When you want to talk with someone about an academic problem
  • When you are seeking counsel regarding your academic plans
  • When you are considering withdrawing or taking a leave of absence 
  • If you are a senior and want to apply for part-time status in your last semester at Duke. Learn more here.
  • If you think you might need to enroll in a ninth semester to complete your Bachelor of Arts of Bachelor of Science degree. Learn more here.
  • If you have a long-term illness.

Students in Pratt may also want to reach out to your Dean:

  • When you have a question about the curriculum in BME, ECE, ME, or EnVE, and neither your advisor nor the director of undergraduate study can answer it, or they are not available. 
  • When you have questions about fitting in Trinity majors, minors and/or certificates into your course schedule
  • When you know you want to pursue graduate school and are thus looking to get involved with academic or research experiences

What role do Academic Deans play?

  • Enforcing academic policy, assuring that students make degree progress
  • Often saying no, giving bad news
  • Meeting with students who are in distress
  • Learn more about what deans do here (Pratt) or here (Trinity)